(a part of Trip Insurance is a BBB Accredited business:

What Others Say

Live Help / Online Chat

If the icon's coloured, we're available right now. Or leave us a message.

Return to Snowbird Insurance’s Home Page

Note: this page covers OHIP. If you have a different provincial plan, check with it to find out your outside of Canada coverages

Does OHIP Cover You Outside Canada?

When I travel outside of Canada will OHIP pay the same medical expenses that are covered in Ontario?

No. If you are a resident of Ontario and you are insured under OHIP, you are entitled to very limited funding for a limited range of medical services when you are travelling outside of Canada. For this reason, you are strongly advised to purchase additional health insurance every time you leave Canada.

Want to learn more about OHIP? Click here to go to OHIP’s Informational page.

OHIP will not pay more than the service would have cost in Ontario.

  • For physician services, OHIP will pay the actual cost billed by the out-of-country physician(s) or the cost of the same physician service(s) in Ontario, whichever is less. Physician services in Ontario are usually rendered at a significantly lower cost than at those billed out-of-country health facilities. Please note that out-of-country health facilities and physicians usually bill on an individual basis.
  • For health facility services, OHIP will pay $50 Canadian (CDN) per day.
  • For inpatient services, OHIP will pay $200 CDN per day. If the services are inpatient services rendered in an operating room, coronary care unit, intensive care unit, neonatal or pediatric special care unit, then OHIP will pay at the higher rate of $400 CDN per day for hospital services.
  • For outpatient dialysis services, OHIP will pay $210 CDN per day.
  • Return to the Snowbird Insurance
    Home Page

    This link kills spam for free